AEX Skin Plate & Trench Shield Repair
Maintenance Repair Specification for Steel Trench Shields
For puncture repairs of the interior face of an AEX Skin Plate, place a replacement plate over the damaged area and weld all around. Do not cut into the original skin plate to make the replacement plate flush with the original skin. The plate used shall be at least as thick as the original skin, and shall extend beyond the damaged area by at least three inches on all sides.
The replacement plate specifications and welding procedure are as follows.
- 1/4" Aluminum Plate: 6061 T6
- All welding shall be performed according to the Aluminum Association's Specification for Aluminum Structures and performed by a certified welder.
- Unless otherwise noted, all welds shall have a thickness equal to the thickness of the thinner member joined.
- 4030 or 5356 welding rod or wire shall be used to complete the welds.
- Before welding, thoroughly clean the area to be welded with a wire brush or grinding wheel.
- Unless otherwise noted, all welds on the outside party of the shield shall be welded all around, to prevent water and mud from entering the shield.
In giving permission to repair trench shields, we are assuming all structural members are undamaged. If any structural member appears to be deformed or damaged, these repair procedures will be insufficient and repair may be impossible. Contact the factory for further instructions.